Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Ayr 29 Boroughmuir 23

Ayr had a fight on their hands on Saturday afternoon at Millbrae, as they took on Boroughmuir in a topsy turvy match.

After an early penalty miss by Muir's Ali Warnock, Ayr seemed to be in control, with Grant Anderson grabbing the home side's first try.  Peter Jericevich couldn't convert.  5-0.

Three minutes later, Ayr bagged another score, this time from galloping centre Richard Dalgleish.  Jericevich added the extras.  12-0.

Warnock was successful with his second penalty attempt, getting Muir on the board for the first time at twenty minutes.  12-3.

Anderson got his brace a few minutes later, taking a deft little flick from prop George Hunter.  Jericevich missed the conversion.  17-6.

Boroughmuir struggled to keep a hold of the ball, with Robbie Fergusson and Craig Gossman all too ready to take advantage with a kick-chase. 

Cammy Taylor seemed to cross the line in the second quarter, only for his namesake referee Cammy Rudkin to call him back for a knock-on.  It was Muir, however, who got the final try of the half, with hooker George Turner scoring after a series of stout scrums from the visitors.  Despite a charge down attempt from Jericevich, Warnock got the conversion.  17-13.

The Millbrae faithful were perhaps just a tad nervous when Boroughmuir started the second half with renewed vigour, and matters were not helped by the sin-binning of Ayr's second row Nick Campbell.

Ayr stood firm, with some typical bulldozing charges from prop Denford Mutamangira.  Jericevich had a chance for three points, but hit the post.  The pink and black army didn't have to wait long for something to cheer about, as flanker Andrew Dunlop was bundled over for a try.  Fly-half Finn Russell had a go at converting, but missed.  22-13.

Muir winger Jordan Webster showed a great bit of skill to get his team back within striking distance of Ayr, scoring an excellent try that was converted by Warnock.  22-20

Nails were being bitten to the quick, but Ayr didn't panic and fought hard to regain control.  Replacement back row Graham Fisken went on the charge, demonstrating a series of impressive hand-offs.

There were some worrying moments at the line-out, tidied up by Campbell, and it wasn't until four minutes before time that everyone could breathe easy again.  Gossman danced his way up the wing to seal a win for Ayr.  Russell's conversion bisected the posts.  29-20.

With a minute to go, Boroughmuir were awarded a penalty, kicked by Warnock.  The final score was 29-23.  Man of the match was hooker Hayden Wisnewski.


No comments:

Post a Comment